- Growing local economies – Through our service with the Midnight Mission, we call on every Rotarian to work with integrity and contribute their expertise to the problems and needs of our local communities and internationally. Learn more in An Introduction to Vocational Service and the Code of Conduct.
- Providing clean water, sanitation, and hygiene – Our International Service in Africa encourages every Rotarian to find ways to improve the quality of life for people internationally. Learn more in Communities in Action: A Guide to Effective Projects.
- Promoting peace – Our work in various countries as well as with International Exchange Students, exemplifies our global reach in promoting peace and understanding. We also support this avenue of service by sponsoring or volunteering on international projects, seeking partners abroad, and more.
- Supporting education – Youth Service in our Club, recognizes the importance of empowering youth and young professionals through leadership development programs such as Rotaract, Interact, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, and Rotary Youth Exchange. Our Rotaract Club consists of young individuals trying to make a positive impact in the world.
- Fighting disease – We have been longstanding supporters of our global End of Polio campaign. That, in conjunction with our other projects, makes our Club a strong partner for fighting disease.
- Saving mothers and children – Through our empowering work in Africa and Los Angeles, we are able to touch the lives of young mothers and their children. Our Club often joins other Clubs in this effort.
- Protecting the environment – This is a new avenue of service for Rotary and we welcome it with open arms. We are currently seeking partners as well as individuals who would like to make a change in this area. Get in touch!
Avenues of Service
We channel our commitment to service at home and abroad through Seven Avenues of Service, which are the foundation of club activity.
The Rotary Club of Downtown Los Angeles has a proud tradition of service to our community and our world.
This service is exemplified by local and global service projects:
As a humanitarian organization, peace is a cornerstone of our mission. We are the second Club in our district to be named a Peace Builder Club and believe when people work to create peace in their communities, that change can have a global effect.
By carrying out service projects and supporting peace fellowships and scholarships, our members take action to address the underlying causes of conflict, including poverty, discrimination, ethnic tension, lack of access to education, and unequal distribution of resources.
Water and Sanitation
At DTLA Rotary, we believe that clean water and sanitation are foundational elements of the well-being and success of every community. Our members have leveraged their diverse range of professional skill-sets to develop clean water and sanitation solutions in Rural Kenya that are currently providing over 15,000 students in 28 schools with access to clean water, improved latrines, handwashing facilites and menstrual products.
DTLA Rotary is on the front lines of the homelessness crisis in Los Angeles, serving our community and building capabilities for self-sufficiency with at risk individuals. Through partnerships with leading organizations like the Midnight Mission, our members are able to engage at the heart of the problem and make a lasting difference that can be directly seen on the streets of Los Angeles.
Downtown Los Angeles is where our members work, live, and play, and we believe it is our responsibility to be effective stewards of that space for ourselves and our community. Our members have spearheaded initiatives to install free libraries, doggy bag dispensers, and other beautification efforts that have a noticeable and lasting impact on the community.
Our club believes that education is the most effective means of combating some of the world’s most pressing issues. At home, we work directly with leading organizations like Equitas Academy to build strong educational foundations and capabilities in underprivileged youth. Abroad, our members have helped plan, fund, and build schools that have forever enhanced the lives and prospects of thousands of young people.
Kenya Water Project
In November 2014 Rotary DTLA completed a $40,000 project to provide a clean reliable source of water and clean latrines for four schools and a clinic near Migori, Kenya. The project benefits 1,500 children and their families.
Mama Hill’s Help
In partnership with the Rotary Club of Crenshaw/Watts and the kids of Mama Hill’s Help, Rotary DTLA members created and help maintain a community garden in South Los Angeles.
Equitas Academy Charter School
Rotary DTLA supports literacy at Equitas Academy Charter School in Pico-Union, where 85% of the students are English language learners. Dictionaries are presented to all third graders and as a token of appreciation to visiting speakers at club meetings, Rotary DTLA makes a book donation in the speaker’s name to the school.
Midnight Mission and Shelter Partnership
Through volunteer service, Rotary DTLA supports the Midnight Mission and Shelter Partnership, leading local non-profits serving the homeless population in the Los Angeles region.